[R] install.packages and MacOS 10.3.8

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Apr 13 15:19:27 CEST 2005

Patrick Giraudoux wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> I am trying to install packages via install.packages() from MacOS
> 10.3.8. Installing work fine when run from the menu, but the following
> command (useful for setting up each computer of the student computer
> room)  leads nowhere for some reasons:
>
>> pack<-c("ade4","adehabitat","geoR","gstat","KernSmooth","lattice","leaps")
>>
>> install.packages(pack,dependencies=T)
>

> trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
> Content type `text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1' length 51500 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 50Kb
>
> also installing the dependencies 'SparseM', 'gee', 'waveslim',
> 'splancs', 'maptools', 'spdep', 'pixmap', 'ape', 'tripack'
>
> trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/SparseM_0.60.tar.gz'

[SNIP]

> * Installing *source* package 'SparseM' ...
> ** libs
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/SHLIB: line 1: make:
> command not found
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'SparseM'
> * Installing *source* package 'gee' ...
> ** libs
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/SHLIB: line 1: make:
> command not found
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'gee'
>
> etc...
>

> Can anybody tell me what goes wrong with this command (which usually
> work without any problem with R 2.0.1 and Windows XP).

So at least "make" and probably much more is missing on your machines
(or not in your path or whatever). You might want to try
install.binaries() instead (which is similar to install.packages() on
Windows, since it installs binary packages rather than trying to compile
and install source packages) - or set up your machines with the required
set of tools.

Uwe Ligges