[R] Data Mining in Europe, please advise

Lisa Solomon lisas at salford-systems.com
Wed Apr 13 16:06:11 CEST 2005

  Our CEO, Dr. Dan Steinberg, is planning to visit Europe in May. He
would like the opportunity to introduce statisticians (and statistically
minded people) to data mining, data mining applications and to forefront
data mining tools. Our algorithms are probably familiar to many
statisticians (CART, MARS, MART, TreeNet and RandomForests), although it
isn't necessary to be a statistician to use our tools. We co-develop
with Jerome Friedman of Stanford University and Leo Breiman of Berkeley.

I am trying to locate people/companies who would benefit from data
mining. If you know of any, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.
Below is a list of presentations from our recent conferences. This will
give you a sense of our customers and how they currently use our tools.

Please contact me directly if you would like for me to arrange an onsite
meeting with Dr. Steinberg. In a meeting, he could demo our tools.....even
on your data. And if any of the presentations (listed below) interest
you, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Lisa Solomon
lisas at salford-systems.com
<mailto:lisas at salford-systems.com?Subject=Re:%20%5BR%5D%20please%20advise%20re:%20data%20mining%20in%20Germany>

001-619-543-8880 x109

PRESENTATION TITLES AND SPEAKERS

BUSINESS-ORIENTED (BIOMED-ORIENTED FOLLOWS)
Beng-Hai Chea
Citibank, N. A.
Committee of Decision Trees Solution for Personal Bankruptcy Prediction

David Goldsmith
MDT Advisers,
Combined Time Series and Cross Sectional CART Modeling for Common Stock
Selection

Whitney W. Olsen, MD
Olsen Capital Management
Does Using CART Need to be Complex? Or, Exploiting the Predictive
Structure of Financial Time Series in the Presence of Intermittent High
Order Chaos

Arnab Dey and Ritesh Aggarwal
Inductis
Application of CART in Determining Reserve Levels for Customer Loyalty
Points

Paolo Manasse
International Monetary Fund
Rules of Thumb" for Sovereign Debt Crises

Ali Moazami, MortgageIT Holdings Inc. and Shaolin Li, BlackRock
"Mortgage Business Transformation Program using CART-based Joint Risk
Modeling with practical discussion of CART/TreeNet"

Glenn Hofmann
HSBC
"Marketing Strategies for Retail Customers Based on Predictive Behavior
Models"

John Trimble
Wells Fargo Bank
Improving Customer Retention by Identifying Characteristics of Auto Loan
Prepayers using Mars

David Poole
AT&T Labs - Research
An Out-of-Memory Implementation of the PRIM Procedure for Massive Datasets

Don Cozine
BarnesandNoble.com
CART for Prim-like Analysis to Augment Predefined Market Zones, Boost
Response Rates for Direct Mail Campaigns and to Identify and Exclude
Irrelevant Subsections of a Heterogeneous Database from Modeling

Dennis Newhart
International Steel Group
Using CART to Analyze and Improve Operating and Quality Issues in the
Steel Industry with Perspectives on Six Sigma

Linus Nilsson
Capgemini
Fault Detection in Industrial Process Plants using CART and MARS

Larry Lai, DIRECTV, Inc.
Variable Derivation and Selection For Customer Churn Models

Jon Farrar
Union Bank's Use of CART to Identify Customer Attrition and Screen
Application Fraud

BIOMEDICAL PRESENTATIONS:
Data Mining for Epidemiological Research: Identifying Relationships That
Cannot Be Identified In Any Other Way
Shenghan Lai, Johns Hopkins Medical School

Drug Discovery Clinical Trials and Random Forests at Novartis
John Warner, Novartis

Model Drift in a Predictive Model of Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Brydon Grant, University of Buffalo Medical School

Using MARS for the Prediction of the Apnea-Hypopnea Index
Brydon Grant, University of Buffalo Medical School

Using CART and TreeNet to Discern Models in Genetics: Alzheimer Disease,
Alcoholism, Cocaine Addiction and Aging
Marsha Wilcox, Boston University Medical School

Comparison of Several Tree-Based Methods to Detect Complex Gene
Interactions
Laurent Briollais, Mount Sinai Hospital

Using CART to Develop a Diagnostic Tool for Erectile Dysfunction
Joseph C. Cappelleri, Pfizer

Models for Recurrence of Low Back Disorder in Industry: A Comparison of
Logistic Regression and CART
Deborah Burr, Ohio State University School of Public Health

A Comparison of Hybrid CART/TreeNET - Generalized Additive Model and
Support Vector Machine Tools for Drug Discovery and Pre-Clinical Drug
Development
Wayne Danter, Critical Outcome Technologies, Inc.

Drug Discovery using CART and MARS
Wayne Danter, Critical Outcome Technologies, Inc.

Application of CART for the Control of Bacroftian Filariasis (leading to
elephantitis and West Nile. Fever) in Andara Pradesh, India
U. Suryanarayana Murty, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology

Generating a Connected Weighted Graph for the Analysis of HIV Data Using
CART 5
George Towfic, Clarke College

Umbilical Cord Length, Other Placental Growth Measures, Placental Weight
and Birthweight
Carrie Salafia, Columbia University School of Public Health

Experiences when applying MARS and CART in the Disciplines of
Biodiversity, Conservation and Wildlife Modeling: The GIS Link
Falk Huettmann, Institute of Arctic Biology, University of Alaska-Fairbanks

CART for Outcome Predictions in Clinical Settings: Emergency Department
Triage, Survival Prediction and Prediction of Neurologic Survival
Jason Haukoos MD, Denver Health Medical Center

Application of MARS to Gene Expression Data: Predictive Models of Gene
Regulation
Debopriya Das, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

MARS and Related Techniques in Dental Biomaterials Modeling
Stuart Gansky, UCSF School of Dentistry

Mining SELDI ProteinChip Data for Biomarkers and Disease Stratification
Kenna Mawk, Ciphergen Biosystems, Inc.

CART in Drug Discovery: Identifying Rules for Making Better Small Molecules
Jing Wang, Cengent Therapeutics

Improving the Ability to Predict Drug-Like Compounds from Virtual
Screening Using CART
Donovan Chin, Biogen

The Importance of CART and MARS in Environmental Fate and Risk
Assessment for Pesticides
Cecil Dharmasri, Syngenta Crop.