[R] RE:Building R packages under Windows.

Duncan Golicher dgoliche at sclc.ecosur.mx
Thu Apr 14 09:07:13 CEST 2005

Hello,

I feel a brief follow up to my post a few days ago is in order. Thanks
to Renaud Lancelot's truly excelent step by step guide I solved my own
difficulties in building R packages for personal use. A short while
after he sent me his document the reply was -"Voilà!  Je l'ai
fonctionnant (enfin!). C'est facile!" My French is obviously quite
hopeless which is a tribute to the clarity of his explanation! However I
am still receiving a suprising number of off list comments to the effect
that package building is much more trouble than it is worth.

I'm now convinced that it's not, thanks to Renaud's very clear document.

The problem seems to lie in the fact that the "official" documentation
for package construction is aimed at those providing serious "R
extensions" for publication on CRAN.

That's fine, but packages are also very useful for personal use as a
neat way of keeping your own stuff organised and documented. At the
moment the overhead (time) for personal package construction
superficially looks much higher than it need be, especially for users of
R under Windows. Dare I say it, but all the saintly souls who dedicate
their lives to R sometimes overlook lay users who have a(nother) life!

Is anyone working on a simple way of building packages, or explaining
how to build packages? They would find a larger user base than they
might suspect.

Duncan Golicher
--
Dr Duncan Golicher