[R] Re: HOWTO compare univariate binomial glm lrm models which are not nested

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Apr 17 17:13:45 CEST 2005

Jan Verbesselt wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks a lot for the input. I will take the considerations into account.
>
> Referring to;
> "2 or 3 completely pre-chosen models or you will invalidate inference and
> estimates if you use these comparisons to build a final model"
>
> The aim is not use the comparisons to build a final model but to select the
> explanatory variable which explains most of the variance or has the best
> predictive ability (p247 10.8 Harrell, 2001).

One procedure that will shed light on this is to bootstrap the ranks of
the chi-square statistics for competing variables.  I think you will be
surprised how wide the confidence intervals for the ranks are.  There is
an example in the Alzola & Harrell document although it is for partial
chi-squares for competing variables in a single model.

-FH