[R] lmer question

Markus Bean markusbean at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 08:10:01 CEST 2005

Hi --

I'm using lmer for binomial data. I am trying to
replicate estimates provided by Agresti (2002,
Categorical data analysis, Wiley) using abortion data
in table 10.13 (estimates provided in table 12.3 p.
505).

I fit the same model using these three commands:

a1 <- lmer(resp ~ sex + option1 + option2 + (1|id),
data=abort,family=binomial, method = c("AGQ"))

a2 <- lmer(resp ~ sex + option1 + option2 + (1|id),
data=abort,family=binomial, method = c("Laplace"))

a3 <- lmer(resp ~ sex + option1 + option2 + (1|id),
data=abort,family=binomial, method = c("PQL"))

All three methods provide the exact same estimates
(which should not be the case), and the estimates are
incorrect. I know the data are correctly entered
because I obtain correct estimates with gllamm in
Stata.

I am I doing something wrong here in my commands, or
is the lmer module not implementing AGQ and Laplace
properly with this version?