[R] R 2.1.0 GUI language

Stephan Tolksdorf andorxor at gmx.de
Mon Apr 18 22:15:00 CEST 2005

Thanks for your prompt reply.

> Which OS is this?  PLEASE do read the posting guide.

Win XP, SP2 (German), which I forgot to mention despite heaving read the
guide.

> This *is* documented in the `R Installation and Adminstration' Manual,
> section `Internationalization'.

Looked in the wrong place (and the help isn't globally searchable).

> If your OS is set to German, then why don't you expect R to follow?

I'd just like to have an option to change the language. English is my
working language and the common denominator of my tool chain. German
warning messages probably also wouldn't be much help to me when asking
for help on this list.
By the way, I'd be quite afraid to suddenly see the German decimal comma
  instead of point in my program output, but fortunately R isn't that
localized.

> If you don't want German menus, do you want German months (as has
> happened for many versions).
>
> For Windows or Linux, to just change the language of messages, set
> environment variable LANGUAGE=en.  To set all aspects, set LC_ALL=en.  I
> don't know about MacOS X menus.

LC_ALL doesn't seem to change the message language. LC_MESSAGES,
which is mentioned  in the installation and administration guide,
doesn't seem to exist in R 2.1.0 and isn't listed in the locales help.

I helped myself by putting
Sys.putenv("LANGUAGE"="EN");Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL","EN")
into etc/Rprofile. Don't know if this is the default way to go.

Stephan