[R] error due to locales again

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 10:43:46 CEST 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, ronggui wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley,
>
>   I found the error by chance. the error is found in R2.1.0 too.

As far as I can see, if anyone had run any example() in R on a Windows
machine in your locale it would have failed.  But no one reported a
problem.  I don't even have that locale on my Windows machine, and it is
in a format I have never seen before.

>> Yes.  Please do beta-test *before* release: R 2.1.0 is released.
>>
>> If no one actually tests R in your language, we will not discover that
>> there are problems in that language.  Over to the users to beta-test when
>> asked to.

My point is that we rely on users to test things we cannot test.  Unless a
user participated in the beta testing (s)he should regard his/her locale
as unsupported.

I have attempted to fix this in R-patched, so please try a build of that
in a day or so (I am not sure automated builds for Windows are running
yet).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk