[R] Getting help on the new features of 2.1.0

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 00:37:16 CEST 2005

Already we have seen several questioners confused by the new features of
2.1.0.  Resources which may help:

- Read the R-admin manual.  It has changed a lot, and covers setting up
locales and languages as well as changes to the configure options.
Everyone should read chapter 6 (Internationalization), and all those
building from source on Unix should read Appendices A and B.

- The R-data manual has examples of reading files in different encodings.
Users of UTF-8 locales (MacOS X and most modern Linuxen) will need to
take care with `legacy' files.

- The long list of new topics in the NEWS file: in almost all cases there
are further details on the help pages.

- For package maintainers, `Writing R Extensions' of course.

There will (I am told) be some expository articles in the 2005-1 issue
of R-News.  I've put one on the changes to update.packages() and friends
up (temporarily) at http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/R/Packages210.pdf

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk