[R] results from sammon()

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Wed Apr 20 11:52:48 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 10:35 +0200, Domenico Cozzetto wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm trying to get a two dimensional embedding of some data using different
> meythods, among which princomp(), cmds(), sammon() and isoMDS(). I have a
> problem with sammon() because the coordinates I get are all equal to NA.
> What does it mean? Why the method fails in finding the coordinates? Can I do
> anything to get some meaningful results?

I'm sorry, but I can't reproduce your problem. I have tried hard with
different tricks, but sammon() always gives good numeric results, or
reports on the problems with the input and refuses to continue. For a
starter: which sammon did you use. I think there may be three or four
implementations in R with that name alone (and some variants may be
names differently). I used sammon() in MASS (Venables & Ripley), and
could not get NA. You need to give more details if you want to get help.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>