[R] Anova - adjusted or sequential sums of squares?

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 16:18:56 CEST 2005

Thanks for the response.  Answers to your questions in turn:

My null hypothesis is that these is no difference between the treatment
means.  I guess that makes my alternative there is a difference.

I understand all about interactions, and yes, there's an interaction
term in my model.  Moreover, it is a pretty easy to understand and
interpret interaction.  In this example case, yes the interaction term
is significant, and so I know I can and should only interpret this term
and not any of the lower order terms.

However, I will be repeating this analysis for other response variables,
some of which inevitably will not have a significant interaction term.
What then?  I guess one answer would be to say that as it's not
significant, I could remove it from the model and perform some model
comparisons as you suggest?

Doug agrees with the guy who taught me stats, and I should only be
looking at the type I sequential sums of squares.  I also like that as
it comes out of R.  It's just minitab freaked me out.

I guess what I want to know is if I use the type I sequential SS, as
reported by R, on my factorial anova which is unbalanced, am I doing
something horribly wrong?  I think the answer is no.

I guess I could use drop1() to get from the type I to the type III in
R...