[R] when can we expect Prof Tierney's compiled R?

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Wed Apr 20 18:09:17 CEST 2005

It is quite likely that we will move in a direction of supporting
annotations or declarations of some sort as well--at least that is one
of the things I am planning to investigate.  I believe there is still
some room for improvement without this, but larger improvements will I
believe require some sort of annotation to allow the compiler to make
valid assumptions that can lead to optimizations.  Ideally the
compiler should be able to give some guidance on where declarations
may be useful--high performance compilers for other high level
languages have done this fairly effectively.

Vectorized operations in R are also as fast as compiled C (because
that is what they are :-)).  A compiler such as the one I'm working on
will be able to make most difference for non-vectorizable or not very
vectorizable code.  It may also be able to reduce the need for
intermediate allocations in vectorizable code, which may have other
benefits beyond just speed improvements.

Best,

luke

241 Schaeffer Hall                  email:      luke at stat.uiowa.edu