[R] Clipboard size?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 07:04:05 CEST 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Rich FitzJohn wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>> From ?file:
> Clipboard:
>     When writing to the clipboard, the output is copied to the
>     clipboard only when the connection is closed or flushed. There is
>     a 32Kb limit on the text to be written to the clipboard. This can
>     be raised by using e.g. 'file("clipboard-128")' on NT-based
>     versions of Windows, to give 128Kb.
>
> So,
>> write.table(dm, "clipboard", sep="\t")
> Warning message:
> clipboard buffer is full and output lost
>> write.table(dm, "clipboard-128", sep = "\t")

Just to add: this is not the same as copying in Excel or a text editor.
The equivalent of that is writeClipboard(), and that is not limited by R
(although it is by Windows).  Here you are treating the clipboard as a
sequential file.

The reason for the choice of 32Kb is that is the clipboard limit on 16-bit
versions of Windows, perpetuated in Win95 (at least).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk