[R] Using R to illustrate the Central Limit Theorem

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Fri Apr 22 06:23:05 CEST 2005

This won't help teach R, but it might illuminate the CLT.  Here are a series
of animated GIFs that begin with different densities, including one that has
a "U" shape, and plots the density of Xbar for n=2,3,4,8,16,32.

http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com/central_limit_theorem.htm

I've also included an explanation of what is happening at each iteration.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Paul Smith
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 1:07 PM
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] Using R to illustrate the Central Limit Theorem

Dear All

I am totally new to R and I would like to know whether R is able and
appropriate to illustrate to my students the Central Limit Theorem,
using for instance 100 independent variables with uniform distribution
and showing that their sum is a variable with an approximated normal
distribution.

Thanks in advance,

Paul