[R] pointer to comments re Paul Murrell's new book, R, & SAS on Andrew Gelman's blog

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 22 12:37:03 CEST 2005

Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu> writes:

> Tony Plate wrote:
> > There are some interesting comments re Paul Murrell's new book, R, &
> > SAS on Andrew Gelman's blog:
> > http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/movabletype/archives/2005/04/a_new_book_on_r.html
>
> I found the comments quite interesting.  I also find it somewhat
> amusing when people speculate on what is necessary "if R truly wanted
> to compete in that space".  R doesn't "compete" with commercial
> software.  As our co-founder and resident sage, Ross Ihaka,
> characterizes our approach, "We have a simple 'marketing strategy' -
> we put the software out there for you to use.  If you decide to use
> it, that's great.  If not, that's ok too."

Just to prevent misattribution: Notice that this is from the comments
*to* Andrew Gelman's note, not comments *by* A.G.

(And at least some of us do think about the market requirements from
time to time. I agree with Ross that we can afford to try to do it
right rather than be driven by marketing, though.)