[R] Error when downloading and installing ALL R packages

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Sat Apr 23 17:34:32 CEST 2005

Uwe Ligges <ligges <at> statistik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Bernd Weiss wrote:

> > Error in sprintf(gettext("unable to move temp installation '%d' to
> > '%s'"),  :
> >         use format %s for character objects
>
> Maybe your disc is full or a package is already in use and one of its
> files is locked? Unfortunately, we don't know which packages comes after
> "AlgDesign", because of the bug in
>     sprintf(gettext("unable to move temp installation '%d' to '%s'"))
> you just have discovered.

(I plead guilty having cut down the above text. And I am sure I forgot to quote
someone important.)

I saw the same message twice already when downloading packages. This was NOT in
an "ALL" download, I only picked 2 and 3 packages respectively, and the message
always occurred after the last. I never have seen the message on pre 2.1.0
versions on this system.
However, I could not reproduce this behavior, it because in both cases packages
loaded succesfully on immediate retries.

(Vage suspect: some timeout on writing to disk?)

Dieter Menne

platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32