[R] random interactions in lme

Jacob Michaelson jjmichael at comcast.net
Sun Apr 24 16:12:10 CEST 2005

Hi All,

I'm taking an Experimental Design course this semester, and have spent
many long hours trying to coax the professor's SAS examples into
something that will work in R (I'd prefer that the things I learn not
be tied to a license).  It's been a long semester in that regard.

One thing that has really frustrated me is that lme has an extremely
counterintuitive way for specifying random terms.  I can usually figure
out how to express a single random term, but if there are multiple
terms or random interactions, the documentation available just doesn't
hold up.

Here's an example: a split block (strip plot) design evaluated in SAS
with PROC MIXED (an excerpt of the model and random statements):

model DryMatter = Compacting|Variety / outp = residuals ddfm =
satterthwaite;
random Rep Rep*Compacting Rep*Variety;

Now the fixed part of that model is easy enough in lme:
"DryMatter~Compacting*Variety"
But I can't find anything that adequately explains how to simply add
the random terms to the model, ie "rep + rep:compacting + rep:variety";
anything to do with random terms in lme seems to go off about grouping
factors, which just isn't intuitive for me.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

--Jake Michaelson