[R] installing R-2.1.0 from source on Fedora Core 3 with tclt k

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Apr 25 02:35:05 CEST 2005

On my FC3 for x86_64 (Athlon64 3000+) at home, R-patched from today compiled
just fine, and tcltk works.  The version of tcl, tcl-devel, tk and tk-devel
are all 8.4.7-2.

Cheers,
Andy

> From: Jonathan Baron
>
> I installed from source on Fedora Core 3 starting with the
> command
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-tcltk
>
> (The --with-tcltk may not be necessary, but there seems to be
> some correlation between using it and getting it to work.)
>
> It would not compile with tcltk, even though I had both tcl and
> tk rpms installed.
>
> Various fooling around let me to get

http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/R_Tcl.zip

(even though it is supposedly for Windows), unzip it in the
R-2.0.0/ directory (where the tar file put itself), and also
install rpms for tcl-devel and tk-devel, which I did not have.
When I did both of these things, it worked.  Either one of them
alone (the ..devel rpms or the R_Tcl.zip) did not suffice.
(However, it isn't clear that a single trial experiment is
sufficient to determine what works.)

My own problem is solved for the moment.  But others may benefit
from this report, and it may be that the installation
documentation needs minor tweaking.  (Or it may be that I did
something else wrong, but right now I doubt that.)

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron