[R] Garbled plot label

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Apr 25 15:24:08 CEST 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Henric Nilsson wrote:

> Uwe Ligges said the following on 2005-04-25 10:22:
> > Maciej Bliziñski wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> While using the "plot" function against a model with a long formula,
> >> I get a garbled label in the bottom of the plot. It looks like there are
> >> two lines printed one over another, here's my example:
> >>
> >> http://pico.magnum2.pl/maciej/NodalInvolvement/MisclassificationRate?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=TwoFactorResiduals.png
> >>

> >> This was from using  "plot(model_object)" which produces 4 plots at
> >> once. Can I fix it somehow?
> >>
> >> I already tried googling, and searching R maillist archives and didn't
> >> find a relevant discussion.
> >>

> > Can you provide a reproducible example please (the posting guide ask to
> > do so anyway)?
>
> It's quite easy to reproduce this. Just
>
> long.var.name.1 <- runif(10)
> long.var.name.2 <- runif(10)
> long.var.name.3 <- runif(10)
> long.var.name.4 <- runif(10)
> fit <- lm(long.var.name.1 ~ long.var.name.2 + long.var.name.3 +
> long.var.name.4)
> plot(fit)

To remove the problem in the plot, do:

plot(fit, sub.caption="")

As it is, sub.caption = deparse(x$call) by default, and

> deparse(fit$call)
[1] "lm(formula = long.var.name.1 ~ long.var.name.2 + long.var.name.3 + "
[2] "    long.var.name.4)"

so this is two lines on top of each other. Unrolling:

plot(fit, sub.caption=gsub("[ ]+", " ", paste(deparse(fit$call), collapse="")))

still works, but is becoming very long. Would a better default perhaps be
the name of the first argument?

Roger