[R] missing values

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 13:54:21 CEST 2005

On 26-Apr-05 Jonathan Baron wrote:
> On 04/26/05 09:58, Giordano Sanchez wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  Thanks for the instructive responses. But two questions arise.
>  Firstable I can't manage to load the library "mice".
>  I'm using R 2.0.1 on my Debian
>
> The package called norm also has functions for missing data.
> When I tried it, the values it gave were not sensible for my
> problem, but I may have done something wrong.  (This was a simple
> problem that did not involve multiple imputation.)

Hi Jonathan,
Would you be kind enough to give sufficient detail to reproduce
such a case? I've used 'norm' (and 'cat' and 'mix') quite
extensively, without encountering non-sensible results (at any
rate in situations where the packages were not being abused,
which one can do in certain circumstances -- imputing missing
values can depend quite strongly on supplying realistic constraints,
and on not expecting too much when the proportion of missing data
is substantial: this methodology does not have magical powers!).

best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 26-Apr-05                                       Time: 12:47:42