[R] how to modify and compile R sourse codes

David Whiting david.whiting at ncl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 09:54:29 CEST 2005

Zhongming Yang <zhongmingyang at yahoo.com> writes:

You can get the source code from the source package and modify
it. You'll have to read the relevant documentation about the tools you
need to compile it---see the archives, there was a discussion recently
about this, and see the documenation that comes with R.  I don't use
Windows so I can't give any more advice.

Depending on what you need to do you might find that what you need is
already in the CVS version of Hmisc. The code was added recently and
is mentioned here:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/StatReport

A PDF with a few simple examples (created while developing and testing
the code) are shown here:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/StatReport/latexFineControl.pdf

The new options allow you to use any latex command (declaration) to
format row and column names, row and column group labels, and each
cell of a table individually.  Defining new commands in the preamble
of your LaTeX document you can great all sorts of splendid (and
awful!)  combinations of formats.

The current version (3.0-5) has options to format the row and column
group labels (note that in the CVS version the option name for the
column group labels has changed).

In case you are not aware of it I should mention that the Sweave
function in the tools package is wonderful for creating automated
reports.

HTH

David

> Dear All:
>
> I am working on writing some R functions to make statistical reports
> automatically. Dr. Harrell's Hmisc has all the wonderful stuff. But
> sometimes I need change some formats, so I want to read through it and
> make some modifications to fit my project.
>
> Ideally, I want proceed as following: 1. change some source of Hmisc
> 2. compile and install the modified Hmisc 3. debug my modified
> functions.
>
> And I am working on windows 2000.
>
> Could anyone give some suggestions on the tools and the best way to do
> this?
>
> Thanks

David Whiting
University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK