[R] libz library missing while installing RMySQL

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Wed Apr 27 10:40:47 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 09:43 +0200, Sebastian Leuzinger wrote:
> Hello
> Trying to install the MySQL package, I get the following error. The help
> archive contains something on this issue but did not help. I work on linux
> suse 9.3
>
> Configuration error:
>    Could not locate the library "libz" required by MySQL.
>
> The library libz however is not on any mirrors I checked.

Sebastian, You made some R core people very happy: they have tried very
hard to explain that there is a difference between a *library* and a
*package*, and that this difference really matters. This seems to be the
first case on R-News when this distinction really seems to matter: you
need a library.  I don't know about SuSE (or with some other really
weird capitalization), but in my system libz belongs to package zlib
that you must install, and in my system you'd probably need zlib-devel
as well (this is FC3). So they are system level libraries that come with
SuSe instead of R packages.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>