[R] tcl/tk problem

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Thu Apr 28 08:43:30 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 15:57 -0700, Jennifer Skene wrote:
> >  library(grasper)
> This is mgcv 1.1-8
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
> 	unable to load shared library
> "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so":
>    dlcompat: dyld: /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R can't open
> library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib  (No such file or directory,
> errno = 2)
> Error: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace for 'tcltk'
> Error: package 'tcltk' could not be loaded
>

> However, tcl/tk appears to be there:
>
> >  capabilities()
>      jpeg      png    tcltk      X11    GNOME     libz http/ftp  sockets
>      TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
>    libxml     fifo   cledit  IEEE754    bzip2     PCRE
>      TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
>
> Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Jennifer,

capabilities() shows that your R was compiled with tcltk support: it
doesn't tell you that there are tcltk libraries. Moreover, if you want
to have help, you should be more specific about your system: it seems to
be MacOS 10 (as B.D. once said (almost), we don't need to X's). If you
haven't installed Tcl/Tk in your Mac, it isn't there. See R for MacOS X
FAQ which tells you how to get Tcl/Tk (like they write it themselves:
tcltk is a Danish translation into R). While you're getting that for
your system, you should also install X11. The error message seems to
come from missing X11 libraries. X11 libraries ship with MacOS 10.3.*
(perhaps from 10.2.8?) installation CD/DVD, but they are not in the
default installation. So you must install them specifically. If they are
not in your MacOS installation media, you can look at the R for MacOS X
FAQ how to get them (which probably points to
http://developer.apple.com, but you have to register to use their
services). I'm not sure how grasper works, but it may be that you must
start X11 yourself in Mac R before calling grasper. But before this, you
probably have some installation to do.

You can find F For Mac OS X FAQ from the Help entry of the upper panel
in R.app or through CRAN.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>