[R] help files and vignettes

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Apr 29 13:48:24 CEST 2005

Ingmar Visser wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm writing a vignette for my package, and I would like to include some of
> the package help files in there as well. Is there an easy way of doing so?
> I tried using R CMD Rdconv to generate latex files from .Rd files but I am
> not sure how to include these into a .Rnw file (ie the vignette source). The
> resulting file from Rdconv do not readily compile using latex ...
> The other option I tried is to use R CMD Rd2dvi --no-clean etc which will
> give me a latex'able file Rd2.tex, portions of which I can then include into
> the vignette source file. However, this takes quite some time given that I
> have 6 or so .Rd files. Especially when updating them, adding functions and
> so forth, this process of generating the Rd2.tex files and then copying and
> pasting into the vignette source is quite tedious.
> In short, is there a faster way of doing this?
> best, ingmar

You can wrap the resulting LaTeX files in

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[ae]{Rd}
\begin{document}

% \include{TheLaTeXFile}

\end{document}

Relevant files (such as Rd.sty) are available in  .../pathToR/share/texmf

Hence you can \input or \include it in any other LaTeX files, such as
vignettes. And you can write Makefiles in order to process automatically.

Uwe Ligges