[R] Conditional piece-wise dependent regression

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.be
Mon Aug 1 10:39:48 CEST 2005

Since you want least squares, I think you could use lm() here, i.e.,

U <- 50
V <- 100
Time <- 1:150
dat <- data.frame(y = rnorm(150), Time, f1 = as.numeric(Time > U), f2
= as.numeric(Time > V))
###############
m <- lm(y ~ Time + I(Time - U):f1 + I(Time - V):f2, data = dat)

# check also the design matrix
model.matrix(m)

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Ph.D. Student
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/16/336899
Fax: +32/16/337015
Web: http://www.med.kuleuven.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm