[R] glmmPQL error in logLik.reStruct

Kechi Nzerem Kechi.Nzerem at rms.com
Wed Aug 3 15:12:03 CEST 2005

Dear R users,

I'm attempting to fit a GLM with random effects using the tweedie family
for the error structure.  I'm getting the error:

iteration 1
Error in logLik.reStruct(object, conLin) :
        NA/NaN/Inf in foreign function call (arg 3)

I'm running V2.1.0
I notice from searching the lists that the same error was reported in
May 2004 by Spencer Graves, but no-one was able to offer any
suggestions.  Running the sample code that he provided also still
produces the same error:

set.seed(8)
N. <- 1000
z <- rnorm(N.)
pr.good <- exp(-1e-4*exp(2+2*z))
quantile(pr.good)
DF. <- data.frame(yield=rbinom(N., N., pr.good)/N.,
       Offset=rep(-10, N.), nest=1:N.)
fit <- glmmPQL(fixed=1-yield~offset(Offset), random=~1|nest,
       family=binomial(link="cloglog"),
       data=DF., weights=rep(N., N.))

A year on can anyone suggest what the problem might be?  Or in
particular, Spencer - did you come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Kechi Nzerem