[R] File size limit exceeded

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 3 22:34:18 CEST 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Omar Lakkis wrote:

> R quits with the message above?

'R quits'?  What exactly happens? -- please see the posting guide.

> What is the cause of the message and how can I avoid this?
> I am using R.2.1.0 on a debian box.

Which platform (please see the posting guide)?

I guess it means you have exceeded the 2Gb file size limit of a 32-bit OS,
but it is possible that you have a file size limit set in your shell.

If the former, you need the configure option --enable-linux-lfs, and you
need a very recent R-patched as that option got inadvertently broken in
2.1.0.  (I've spent a couple of hours this afternoon checking that it
works again on i686 linux -- another alternative is to use a 64-bit
platform which is what most people needing large files do.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk