[R] drawing a network digraph

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Aug 4 15:39:38 CEST 2005

On  4 Aug 2005, dvumani at hotmail.com wrote:

> Dear R users, I have a matrix with 2 columns with the variables:
> "daughter index", "mother index". I would like to draw a network
> digraph using this data, where each daughter is connected to a
> mother and between the connections inlcude a circle with the
> information on the indices ("daughter index", "mother index"):
> i.e. something similar to graphs produced by graphviz.  I am
> clueless. I have looked at the libraries SEM and SNA but it looks
> like they can't help my cause.  Hope you help.  Vumani

You want the Rgraphviz package from Bioconductor.  To use Rgraphviz,
you will need to first install graphviz.

To install Rgraphviz:

  If you are on a Linux type system with R-2.1.x:
      source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
      biocLite("Rgraphviz")

  If you use Windows, you need to use an R-devel snapshot in order to
  (easily) access Bioconductor development packages (Rgraphviz was
  only recently ported to Windows).  But the commands to install are
  the same as above.

HTH,

+ seth