[R] clara - memory limit

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 5 10:31:38 CEST 2005

    ReidH> I thought setting keep.data=FALSE might help, but
    ReidH> running this on a 32-bit Linux machine, the R process
    ReidH> seems to use 1.2 GB until just before clara returns,
    ReidH> when it increases to 1.9 GB, regardless of whether
    ReidH> keep.data=FALSE or TRUE. Possibly it's the overhead
    ReidH> of the .C() interface, but that's mostly an
    ReidH> uninformed guess.

not only;  I've found at least one place to save more memory for
'keep.data = FALSE',
thanks to your careful observation, Reid!

This, together, with another small change, will lead to a new
release of the cluster package, soon.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich