[R] Problem configuring R-patched

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 5 15:54:02 CEST 2005

Sorry to chime in a bit late here..

    Kevin> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
    >> Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:

    >>> No, it wasn't.

    >>> Actually, I compiled it about a week ago.  Here is my
    >>> current version.

    >>> linux-gnu system i686, linux-gnu status Patched major 2
    >>> minor 1.1 year 2005 month 07 day 28 language R
    >>>
    >>> When I compiled that version, I did my "tar xzf" to a
    >>> clean directory and did not receive that error.

    >>> I realise that would clear it up.  I was puzzled why I
    >>> got this message in the first place, given I didn't get
    >>> it last week.
    >>

    >> I believe there are two kinds of tar files.  The daily
    >> snapshots don't include the recommended packages, the
    >> releases do.

eeehm, no: The daily snapshots do contain the recommended packages,
and have for quite a while now.

    >> Or perhaps the test is a recent addition.

only for a pretty generous definition of "recent".

To be honest, I don't know what Kevin's problem could be.

The daily snapshots are really produced here at ETH Zurich and
daily mirrored from here to CRAN. I can see that the
	 R-patched_2005-08-04.tar.gz
does contain the recommended packages.

Maybe your download wasn't completed; your disk full; or you
have a gnome in your computer who occasionally deletes some of
your files?  I've had similar feelings a few times in the
past...

    Kevin> Both versions were R-patched.tar.gz as opposed to the
    Kevin> devel sets which looks like it's actually a link to
    Kevin> the most recent.  Maybe I incorrectly assumed that

    Kevin> Maybe I incorrectly assumed that the patched tarballs
    Kevin> contained the recommended packages.

actually that was a correct assumption.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich