[R] p-values

Peter Ho peter at estg.ipvc.pt
Mon Aug 8 17:26:55 CEST 2005

Spencer,

Thank you for referring me to your other email on Exact goodness-of-fit
test. However, I'm not entirely sure if what you mentioned is the same
for my case. I'm not a statistician and it would help me if you could
explain what you meant in a little more detail. Perhaps I need to
explain the problem in more detail.

I am looking for a way to calculate exaxt p-values by Monte Carlo
Simulation for Durbin's test. Durbin's test statistic is similar to
Friedman's statistic, but considers the case of Balanced Incomplete
block designs. I have found a function written by Felipe de Mendiburu
for calculating Durbin's statistic, which gives the chi-squared p-value.
I have also been read an article by Torsten Hothorn "On exact rank Tests
in R" (R News 1(1), 11–12.) and he has shown how to calculate Monte
Carlo p-values using pperm. In the article by Torsten Hothorn he gives:

R> pperm(W, ranks, length(x))

He compares his method to that of StatXact, which is the program Rayner
and Best suggested using. Is there a way to do this for example for the
friedman test.

A paper by Joachim Rohmel discusses "The permutation distribution for
the friendman test" (Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 1997, 26:
83-99). This seems to be on the lines of what I need, although I am not
quite sure. Has anyone tried to recode his APL program for R?

I have tried a number of things, all unsucessful. Searching through
pperm is the way to go, but I would need help from someone on this.

Any hints on how to continue would be much appreciated.

Peter