[R] Reading large files in R

Andreas Hary u08adh at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 8 23:49:09 CEST 2005

You can also use the RODBC package to hold the data in a database, say MySQL
and only import it when you do the modelling, e.g.

> library(RODBC)
> library(sspir)
> con <- odbcConnect("MySQL Test")
> data(vandrivers)
> sqlSave(con,dat=vandrivers,append=FALSE)
> rm(vandrivers)
> gc()
> van.call <- sqlQuery(con,'select * from vandrivers;')
> vd <- ssm( y ~ tvar(1) + seatbelt + sumseason(time,12),
>           time=time, family=poisson(link="log"),
>           data=eval(van.call))
> vd$ss$phi["(Intercept)"] <- exp(- 2*3.703307 )
> vd$ss$C0 <- diag(13)*1000
> vd.res <- kfs(vd)
> gc()

In this case I have first saved the vandriver data in 'MySQL Test', but one
can obviously write the data directly to the database. Since the data is not
held in memory I find that I can do much larger computations than is
otherwise possible. The downside is of course that computations take a bit
longer.
Best wishes,

Andreas

Andreas D Hary