[R] AIC model selection

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Tue Aug 9 11:52:00 CEST 2005

True. But from the "Note" section of help(step) :

     This is a minimal implementation. Use 'stepAIC' in package 'MASS'
     for a wider range of object classes.

And from author(s) section :

     B. D. Ripley: 'step' is a slightly simplified version of 'stepAIC'
     in package 'MASS' (Venables & Ripley, 2002 and earlier editions).

I am not sure why the simplification was necessary but I would prefer
the slightly more comprehensive version. Besides I like the word AIC
reflected in the function of the name as it is using AIC criterion to do
stepwise selection.

Regards, Adai