[R] solution: package install probs. win-xp. file move

Sean O'Riordain sean.oriordain at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:26:40 CEST 2005

Hi,

This is just an FYI documenting a conflict between R and
Google-Desktop.  The solution was to click on the Google-Desktop icon
in the systray and click on "Pause Indexing".  I also temporarily
suspended anti-virus scanning before successfully
install.packages("VR") many times without getting an error message.

I was getting an intermittant failure when I tried to install a
package or update a package under Win-XP-Pro-sp2.

There is 5gb of free space on the drive and I'm an admistrator on this
machine and most times (but not every time) I tried to
upgrade.packages() or install.packages() I got the following error
message "unable to move temporary installation" message.

It appears to be a file-locking issue with the Google-Desktop search -
ie. during the few seconds that install.packages() creates a fileNNNN
directory tree, google-desktop starts reading these files and then
prevents this tree from being moved to its correct place under
\library

cheers,
Sean

==========================

Version 2.1.1  (2005-06-20), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

I installed todays 2.2.0-pre and I get exactly the same thing. The
first time I did it, no problem; I exit out of R-2.2.0-pre (and 2.1.1)
and go back into 2.2.0-pre and type 'install.packages("VR")' and I get
the "unable to move temporary installation".

I've searched the archives and the web for the phrase "unable to move
temporary installation"; I've looked for similar bugs at r-bugs and I
found nothing.

Clearly something to do with file locking on windows - possibly anti-virus?

cheers,
Sean

==========================

e.g.
> install.packages("VR")
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL 'http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.1/VR_7.2-17.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 1570833 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 1534Kb

bundle 'VR' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Documents and Settings\soriorda\Local
Settings\Temp\Rtmp9355\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions
Warning message:
unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program
Files\R\rw2011\library\file11565\MASS' to
'C:\PROGRA~1\R\rw2011\library\MASS'

=============================
R : Copyright 2005, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.2.0 Under development (unstable) (2005-08-04 r35153M)

trying URL 'http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.2/VR_7.2-17.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 1570833 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 1534Kb

bundle 'VR' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Documents and Settings\soriorda\Local
Settings\Temp\Rtmp10612\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions
Warning message:
unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program
Files\R\R-2.2.0dev\library\file17748\MASS' to
'C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-22~1.0DE\library\MASS'