[R] Please don't blame your tools (was Error in autoloader)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 11 18:26:47 CEST 2005

The problem is **NOT** in MASS.  confint is in stats, not MASS, and has
been (in base then stats) since R 1.7.0.  You could (and should) have
checked that from the (O)NEWS files of R and MASS.

Nor is there an error in autoloader, as your title stated.

Some other piece of software on your system is seriously out of date.
Running traceback() might tell you what it is.  My suspicion is that
you have somewhere a long-outdated version of lme4.

Starting each R session with that long list of packages is surely not a
good idea.  Part of the homework before posting should be to run R
--vanilla and see what happens there.

If this were me I would scrap all of the outdated R installation you have
and start again with R 2.1.1 (or R-patched).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk