[R] Problems with numeric variable containing ? values

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Aug 13 02:31:06 CEST 2005

	  I'm very sorry, but I do not understand your question.  If you are
still waiting for an answer, may I suggest you PLEASE do read the
posting guide! "http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".  This may
help you formulate your question so it will be easier for someone else
to understand what you are asking and provide a useful reply.

	  spencer graves

ftorrei2 at uiuc.edu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with the values for one column in a table.
> The variable represented in this column is numeric (I get TRUE
> when I ask is.numeric(x)). However, the values are listed
> ordinally and with row numbers as values, not with the ones
> that appear in the table. Some rows have an undefined value
> for this column, which appears as ? in the table (this is not
> an error). I wonder whether these undefined values are causing
> the problem.
> I need to extract a subset from this column with all rows not
> having '?' and then use the subset for a number if analysis.
> So far this is not possible since the subset does not have the
> real values, but the row numbers mentioned above. Any help?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Francisco Torreira
> Francisco Torreira
> Spanish, Italian and Portuguese