[R] Penalized likelihood-ratio chi-squared statistic: L.R. model for Goodness of fit?

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Aug 13 15:57:10 CEST 2005

Jan Verbesselt wrote:
> Dear R list,
>

> From the lrm() binary logistic model we derived the G2 value or the
> likelihood-ratio chi-squared statistic given as L.R. model, in the output of
> the lrm().

> How can this value be penalized for non-linearity (we used splines in the
> lrm function)?
>

> lrm.iRVI <- lrm(arson ~ rcs(iRVI,5),
> penalty=list(simple=10,nonlinear=100,nonlinear.interaction=4))
>
> This didn’t work properly.

Please following the posting guide.  What do you mean by 'work' and what
is the output?

You are attempting to penalize for nonexistent interaction terms.

Differential penalization is only appropriate if there are many similar
terms being penalized (e.g., you fit a multivariable model and want to
penalize all nonlinear terms in all variables combined).

> The aim is to obtain a value that can be used to compare the goodness of fit
> of the different univariate binary logistic models.

By univariate I assume you mean univariable.  Penalization is primarily
used to fit multivariable models.  It allows you to fit "bigger" models.

But for your purpose comparing AIC of various models might be entertained.

Frank