[R] preprocessing data

Jean Eid jeaneid at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 16 14:39:01 CEST 2005

Dear all,

My question is concerning the line
"This is adequate for small files, but for anything more complicated we
recommend using the facilities   of a language like perl to pre-process
the file."

in the import/export manual.

I have a large fixed-width file that I would like to preprocess in Perl or
awk. The problem is that I do not know where to start. Does anyone have a
simple example on how to turn a fixed-width file in any of these
facilities into csv or tab delimited file. I guess I am looking for
somewhat a perl for dummies or awk for dummies that does this. any
pointers for website will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Jean Eid