[R] kernel smoothing of weighted data

riap2@cam.ac.uk riap2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 18:11:05 CEST 2005

Hi,

I want to use kde() or a similar function for kernel smoothing but I want
to specify the weight of each of my data points.  I do not want to specify
the bandwidth on a point by point basis.

This seems such a simple and obvious thing to want to do I am suspicious
that there is not an obvious way to do it.  The only discussion I have
found is about negative weights(!) and says nothing about implementation.
Can anyone suggest a package I have missed or suggest the best starting
point for writing my own solution.

The reason for wanting this is that I have a number of samples each of
~1000 data points from the same distribution but the samples are of
slightly differing statistical weight and eventually each point in each
sample may have its own statistical weight.

I have searched the list but I am not subscribed to it so please make me an
addressee of any reply.

Thanks

Robert Patterson