[R] How to assess significance of random effect in lme4

Shige Song shigesong at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 13:49:53 CEST 2005

Hi Harold,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at my outputs using str() as you
suggested, here is the part you mentioned:

  ..@ bVar     :List of 2
  .. ..$ commu  : num [1, 1, 1:29] 5e-10 5e-10 5e-10 5e-10 5e-10 ...
  .. ..$ bcohort: num [1, 1, 1:6] 1.05e-05 7.45e-06 6.53e-06 8.25e-06
7.11e-06 ...

where commu and bcohort are the two second-level units. Are these
standard errors? Why the second vector contains a series of different
numbers?

Thanks!

Shige