[R] How to assess significance of random effect in lme4

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Aug 17 15:26:15 CEST 2005

These are the posterior variances of the random effects (I think more
properly termed "empirical" posteriors).  Your model apparently includes
three levels of random variation (commu, bcohort, residual). The first
are the variances associated with your commu random effect and the
second are the variances associated with the bcohort random effect.

Accessing either one would require

fm at bVar$commu or fm at bVar$bcohort

Obviously, replace "fm" with the name of your fitted model.