[R] Problem with building R packages under Windows

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Aug 18 09:27:06 CEST 2005

Dr L. Y Hin wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am coming to the guru for advise here. I am a native user of Windows,
> and S-plus, and the process of migrating my libraries from S to R has been
> more than a painstaking task...
>
> I am currently using R version 2.1.1 in Windows XP SP2.
> I have read the "Writing R extensions", "the FAQ in R", and your valuable
> document
> "R for Windows Users", but still unable to compile a package in
> R using Rcmd (likely stupidity on my part).
>
> The followings are what I have done:
>
> 1. Downloaded and setup ActivePerl and the path (in control panel) of
> c:\Perl\bin has been added automatically. I have downloaded version
> (5.8.7).

You need the native port, not the cygwin one.

> 2. Downloaded and setup tools bundle from
> www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/tools.zip and
> unzip them into c:\bin and added the path (in control panel) of c:\bin

Hmm, the tools are no longer available from this location!
The current link is:

http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/tools.zip

For the current R version, the procedure is documented in the manual "R
Installation and Administration".

> 3. Downloaded and setup the entire package of MikTex at
> http://www.miktex.org/ and added
> the path (in control panel) of C:\texmf\miktex\bin
>
> 4. Added the path (in control panel) referencing R (this version being
> R2.0patched) which
> is C:\Program Files\R\rw2000pat\bin

Above you told us about R-2.1.1 .....!
Please, really use a recent version.