[R] RMySQL not loading on Mac OS X

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 18 12:47:50 CEST 2005

On 18/08/2005, at 7:46 PM, Georg Otto wrote:
> Concerning your suggestion: The system default compiler is gcc 4.0,
> but RMySQL seems to be built using gcc-3.3 regardless if I switch
> to 3.3. or not.
>
> Would it be a solution to force RMySQL to use gcc 4.0 during built?
> (Might be a naive idea, I am quite new to this). And if yes, how
> could I do this?

When R is built it stores the configuration including the compilers
which were used.  When you try to build a source package, it uses the
same compile commands.   However, this is a less than perfect
mechanism and requires that the packagers of binaries understand what
is going on.

For instance on Panther 'gcc' by default means gcc-3.3, whereas on
Tiger by default it means gcc-4.0.  So a package built with 'gcc' and
'g77' will work on Panther but not Tiger.  See the problem.

OTOH 'gcc-3.3' means gcc-3.3 on either Panther or Tiger, but
'gcc-4.0' won't work on Panther at all.

The best solution is to build everything from source with the same
compilers.  That way you cannot have a compatibility problems.

Hopefully soon the transition to gcc-4 will be complete.  The change
to Intel guarantees that, because the Apple gcc-3.3 compilers don't
do x86 code.  In a perfect future Apple will include Fortran in their
Developer tools distribution, but for now they want gcc-4 and
gfortran is not quite ready for the big time.

Bill Northcott