[R] [SPAM] - Re: How to assess significance of random effect in lme4 - Bayesian Filter detected spam

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Aug 18 14:35:12 CEST 2005

Actually, I re-read the post and think it needs clarification. We may
both be right. If the question is "I am building a model and want to
know if I should retain this random effect?" (or something like that)
then the LRT should be used to compare the fitted model against another
model. This would be accomplished via anova().

In other multilevel programs, the variance components are often
associated with a chi-square statistic and a test statistic associated
with the variance. lmer() does not report this test statistic.

Now, if the question is something like "I want to know if a specific
realization of the random variable (i.e., a specific empirical Bayes
estimate) is different from a population value?" then one would need the
posterior means.

So, Shige, I hope this hasn't been confusing, but there are many things
happening in these models and it is easy to get confused. Maybe if you
could clarify your question.