[R] problems when installing R in Fedora core 4

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Thu Aug 18 15:56:15 CEST 2005

On 08/18/05 09:31, Peter Yang wrote:
> Hi, I got a problem when installing R in Fedora core 4. When I ran
> .configure, it gave the following error message:
>
> configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available
>
> Could anyone tell me what's wrong? Am I missing some package in Fedora?

Yes, probably xorg-x11-devel, so do
yum install xorg-x11-devel
and you will probably get rid of THAT error message.

I'm treading into deeper water in what follows, but installation
depends on several other packages as well.  I discovered most of
these by looking at the error messages and then finding what rpm
provided the files needed.  I did this either with
rpm -q --whatprovides [the missing file]
on some other installation that happened to work, or by searching
http://rpm.pbone.net.

Whether you have the needed files already depends on what kind of
installation you did.  Some of the packages are "devel" and
others are "compat".  Here is my list of "compat" rpms
that I have installed, and I think I installed all of these just
to get R to build:

compat-libf2c-32-3.2.3-47.fc4
compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-132.fc4
compat-readline43-4.3-2
compat-gcc-32-3.2.3-47.fc4

My hunch is that I still do not have the optimal installation,
but it is possible that the newest versions of gcc have solved
some of the problems with the ones that originally came with
FC4.  I've seen some discussion suggesting that the way to go is
to use an older version of gcc, but I did not search for it just
now.

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron