[R] Compiling R to run natively on Windows x64

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 19 19:18:44 CEST 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Alastair Cooper wrote:

> I am looking at getting a PC preinstalled with Windows XP x64. What I
> want to know is, has anyone successfully compiled a version of R for
> 64-bit Windows (Amd64 - not Itanium), and if so did they find any
> performance boost?

Hmm, where do you get a reliable C99-compatible compiler for 64-bit
Windows?  We don't know of one, and the R sources are written assuming
long is 64-bit on a 64-bit platform (and that is not the Win64
convention) so there would still be a lot of 32-bit restrictions until we
change that (which is on my TODO list).

(We don't support building R with VC++, and although there have been a
number of attempts none has produced a version that passes make check: I
recall finding VC++ thought -Inf > 3, for example.)

Based on extensive experience on other platforms, I would expect a
noticeable performance hit for a 64-bit build, but the ability to run
bigger tasks: this is discussed with data and reasoning in the latest
R-admin manual (in the R-devel version of R).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk