[R] Advice about system for installing & updating all R package in a Linux Lab?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Sat Aug 20 01:11:48 CEST 2005

You can also provide the users with the option to add/update their own
packages locally via install- and update.packages().  Here's a piece of
bash code that sets R_LIBS for to a OS specific directory in the users
account. Add it to the system wide startup script.

if test "${R_LIBS}" = ""; then
   # Get the OS type in lower case
   ostype=`uname -s | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`
   export R_LIBS=${HOME}/R/R_LIBS/${ostype}/library/
   if ! test -d "${R_LIBS}"; then
     mkdir -p ${R_LIBS}
   fi
fi