[R] pdf font embedding --- again

ivo_welch-rstat8303@mailblocks.com ivo_welch-rstat8303 at mailblocks.com
Mon Aug 22 17:37:50 CEST 2005

dear R wizards---  I would like to do some book-on-demand printing at a
popular printer named lulu, but lulu requires inclusion even of the
basic postscript fonts.  Interestingly, my book itself does not need
the 14 base acrobat fonts, only the embedded R figures do.  Of course,
I really would like to get pdftex to embed the fonts, but how to do
this is not obvious either.  [This method seems to be what the R help
page is indicating...  The software including the PostScript plot file
should either embed the font outlines (usually from '.pfb' or '.pfa'
files) or use DSC comments to instruct the print spooler to do so.)

So, I would really, really like to embed the necessary fonts with the R
figures.  I first reread the discussion in this mailing list about
(eps) font embedding earlier this year.  This was ultimately not very
helpful.  First, I do not  know how to instruct my embedding program to
include the fonts that R figures want.  Second, I already start with
the pdf device, so distilling eps files is not a good option--and it
would seem a bit crazy to first use the wrong output device
(postscript), then ship my files over to a windows machine somewhere
that has distiller installed, run distiller by hand, then ftp them back
to my linux machine---just for getting the fonts embedded.

Is it impossible to get R to embed the necessary fonts in its pdf
output?

help appreciated.

regards, /iaw
---