[R] Using tcltk to display jpeg images

Jonathan Williams jonathan.williams at pharmacology.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Aug 23 10:45:10 CEST 2005

Dear R Helpers,

Does anyone know how to use tcltk to display jpeg images? The manual says
that
one must use Tk_PhotoCreateImageFormat to register the jpeg image handler.
The
"ActiveTcl User Guide"
(http://support.serv.ch/lang/tcl/img/doc/img-jpeg.html)
says:-

"The package img::jpeg is a sub-package of Img. It can be loaded as a part
of the complete
Img support, via package require Img, or on its own, via package require
img::jpeg"

I downloaded the tkimg1.3 file from
http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/tkimg/tkimg1.3.zip,
but I cannot figure out how to 'build' the files to link them to R.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me how to do this? Better still, does
anyone have an R routine
that will do it, since I have no experience of this kind of programming.

Thanks, in advance,

Jonathan Williams