[R] plotting issue with timestamps

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Aug 24 04:54:32 CEST 2005

	  Have you considered the "zoo" package?  It has a "vignette" that I
found very useful.  After 'install.packages("zoo")', try the following:

	  Zoo <- vignette("zoo")
	  print(Zoo)
# to open the narrative vignette in an Adobe Acrobat reader
	  edit(Zoo)
# to open a script file in RGui to make it easy for you
# to process the R commands line by line, edit them as you wish, etc.

#  If you use XEmacs, do NOT use "edit(Zoo)".  Instead do the following:

	  Stangle(Zoo$file)

# This will write the R commands to a file, which you can then open
# and process line by line as in RGui.

	  spencer graves

Dhiren DSouza wrote:
> I have a dataset with transactions and a timestamp at which they occoured
> during a day.  The time stamp is in the format YYYY/MM/DD hh:mm:ss.  I would
> like to plot a timeseries of the transactions to see if there is a
> particular time in the day when there is a spike in transactions.  Ofcourse
> the YYYY/MM/DD can be dropped since I am monitoring activity for the day and
> the actual date is unimportant.
>
> Can anyone give me some direction on this.  I could possibly build a
> frequency table but not sure how to plot against the timestamp in the format
> above.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -Dhiren

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer