[R] Converting characters to numbers in data frames

Anon. bob.ohara at helsinki.fi
Thu Aug 25 13:45:46 CEST 2005

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't find the
solution (including in the FAQ etc.).

I have a vector of names of variables like this: NRes.x.y. where x and y
are numbers.  I want to extract these numbers as numbers to use
elsewhere.  I can extract the numbers as a list of characters using
strsplit(), and convert that to a data frame, e.g.:

NAMES=c("NRes.1.2.", "NRes.1.3.", "NRes.1.4.", "NRes.1.5.", "NRes.1.6.")
NUMBERS=strsplit(gsub("NRes.","", NAMES, perl =T), '.', fixed = TRUE)
NUMBERS.df=t(data.frame(NUMBERS))

But I now want to convert the characters to be numeric.  Using
as.numeric(NUMBERS.df) converts them, but to a vector.  How can I
convert and keep as a data frame?  I could use this:

matrix(as.numeric(NUMBERS.df), ncol=dim(NUMBERS.df)[2])

but I seem to be jumping through far too many hoops: there must be an
easier way.  An suggestions?

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)

Telephone: +358-9-191 51479
Mobile: +358 50 599 0540
Fax:  +358-9-191 51400
WWW:  http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/